How do I legitimate a child?
Unless there is a pending Department of Family and Children Services deprivation case concerning the child, you must file a petition for legitimation in the Superior Court of Sumter County.
If there is a pending deprivation proceeding and you wish to file a legitimation petition you can talk to DFCS. If they are in agreement, they may help by requesting the Special Assistant Attorney General (SAAG) to help you with the filing of the petition. If they do not agree to your wish to legitimate then you will have to obtain your own attorney (one cannot be appointed to you).

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a complaint against a child?
2. How do I report the neglect / deprivation of a child?
3. How do I legitimate a child?
4. How do I get custody / guardianship of a child, or how do I terminate custody / guardianship?
5. How do I report truancy or a runaway?
6. How do I become emancipated?
7. What happens if I miss a court date?